60. The terms capella and imitation would most likely be used in a discussion of
a. Josquin des Préz
b. Raphael Sanzio
d. Marsilio Ficino
61) Machiavelli wrote in The Prince that a “prince must not keep faith when by
doing so it would be against his self-interest.” What would a ruler following
this precept most likely do?
a. ruthlessly betray his friends to remain in power
b. carefully weigh the common good against his personal ambitions
c. consult his priest before making important decisions
d. recognize the inherent rights of citizens to life and liberty15 Final Examination
64) Which of these was an important factor in the Low Countries’ “commercial
a. King Henry VIII’s split with the Catholic church
b. the invention of linear and atmospheric perspective
c. destruction of churches and religious art during peasant revolts
d. accumulation of wealth in the hands of a merchant class
65) One would likely hear the term madrigal in a discussion of what topic?
a. music in Renaissance England
b. the Lutheran Bible
c. Palestrina’s harmonies
d. Palladio’s classical designs
66) What northern Renaissance writer’s greatest work is devoted to a satirical exposure of religious corruption and prejudice?
a. Pico della Mirandola
c. Thomas More
d. Desiderius Erasmus
67) What northern Renaissance humanist writer expressed his philosophical skepticism in the form of personal essays?
a. Michel de Montaigne
b. William Shakespeare
c. Thomas More
d. Desiderius Erasmus
68) Which is the best example of the vivid and precise realism of Northern Renaissance painting?
a. Van Eyck’s Marriage of Arnolfini
b. Tintoretto’s Last Supper
c. Parmigianino’s Madonna of the Long Neck
d. Bruegel’s The Hunters’ Return
69) The Teatro Olimpico illustrates the influence of what Renaissance technique, borrowed from painting?
a. blank verse
c. linear perspective
d. commedia dell’arte
70) In carrying the technique of chiaroscuro (dramatic light and shadow) to the cities of Florence and Naples, Artemisia Gentileschi spread the influence of what artist?
a. Nicolas Poussin
b. Gianlorenzo Bernini
d. Johannes Vermeer
71) In what regard is Velazquez’s masterpiece The Maids of Honor (Las Meni- ñas), a scene in the artist’s royal studio, most remarkable?
a. its complex arrangement of space
b. a brilliant use of red, blue, and gold
c. its mood of gaiety and self-indulgence
d. the novel treatment of a religious theme
72) What would the Academy, as established under the rule of Louis XIV, most likely do?
a. ensure a religious content in pictures
b. oversee the Dutch market in paintings
c. encourage innovative styles of painting
d. impose absolutist neoclassical rules on artists
73) Which statement best describes the works of Molière?
a. attracted a diverse audience to public theaters
b. essential in the popularization of modern science
c. showed the clear influence of Shakespeare
d. developed under the patronage of Louis XIV
74) What best describes the cantatas of J. S. Bach?
a. marked the origin of baroque opera in Germany
b. adopted the musical form of concerto grosso
c. served as an important part of Lutheran church worship
d. were usually performed in the courts of German nobles
75) Which of these figures is associated with the heliocentric theory of the universe, an important advance in the Scientific Revolution?
a. René Descartes
b. John Locke
c. Nicolaus Copernicus
d. Antonio Vivaldi
76) Who created romanticized portraits that he called “fancy pictures” that appealed to the wealthy classes of eighteenth-century Britain?
a. William Hogarth
b. Thomas Gainsborough
c. Balthasar Neumann
d. Antoine Watteau
77) Jean-Jacques Rousseau’s novel titled Émile would today be most influential
in what field of study?
a. the nature of religious experience
b. the philosophy of education
c. the philosophical basis of modern science
d. the economic study of free markets
78) Which of these works might have been most influenced by Palladio’s book of classical designs, an important document in eighteenth-century neoclassicism?
a. Boffrand’s Hôtel de Soubise
b. Haydn’s London symphonies
c. Noverre’s ballet d’action
d. Jefferson’s Monticello
79) Which of these would one expect to hear in the sonata allegro movement of a Classical symphony?
a. the development
b. Storm and Stress
c. a recitative
d. the libretto
80) Which movement or style aimed to free Germany from artificial imitations of French culture?
b. the sentimental drama
c. the Encyclopedists
d. cult of sensibilité
81) How did Ludwig van Beethoven substantially alter the Classical symphony form of Haydn and Mozart?
a. used the motif to expand and unify the symphony structure
b. emphasized the classical simplicity of his mentors’ style
c. eliminated the symphony’s fourth movement
d. selectively reduced the number of instruments in the orchestra
82) Which of these works celebrated the romantic belief in political freedom and
a. J. M. W. Turner’s Slave Ship
b. Delacroix’s Liberty Leading the People
c. Bierstadt’s Among the Sierra Nevada
d. Friedrich’s Wanderer Above the Mists
83) For what reason would Turner’s The Slave Ship have been criticized by tradi-
tional art critics?
a. depicted mythological creatures and fantastic scenes
b. depicted a commonplace scene from ordinary life
c. disregarded precise detail in favor of atmospheric color and light
d. incorporated classical sculpture and architecture
84) In what kind of work would one most likely expect to encounter the tech-
nique of the idée fixe?
a. a building by A. N. Pugin
b. a drama by Goethe
c. a symphony by Hector Berlioz
d. a painting by Francisco Goya
85) Which of these was famed as a virtuoso pianist and composer of romantic
nocturnes and preludes?
a. Frédéric Chopin
b. William Blake
c. Robert Schumann
d. Hector Berlioz
86) What statement best expresses the utilitarian philosophy of J. S. Mill?
a. the strong must be free to create their own value system
b. all ideas come from God and deserve to be heard
c. actions are right insofar as they promote happiness
d. all species, including humans, are engaged in the struggle to survive
87) What made Joseph Paxton’s Crystal Palace notable?
a. Art Nouveau-style decoration
b. Gothic gloominess and mystery
c. iron-and-glass construction
d. use of neoclassical motifs
88) The literary names of Gustave Flaubert and Henrik Ibsen are closely associated with what “-ism”?
89) Why would the artistic public of the 1860s most likely have rejected Edouard Manet’s Luncheon on the Grass?
a. the work seemed to call for violent uprisings of urban workers
b. the work’s sketchy brush strokes seemed amateurish
c. the work depicted exotic tropical scenes in garish colors
d. the picture placed a bold nude woman in a contemporary setting
90) What pair of painters best defines the pure impressionist style of brilliant color and vibrant brushwork?
a. Paul Cézanne and Georges Seurat
b. Gustave Courbet and Honoré Daumier
c. Claude Monet and Pierre-Auguste Renoir
d. Edouard Manet and Edgar Degas
91) What work is associated with Die Brücke, a movement of German expressionist artists of the 1920s?
a. Kafka’s The Metamorphosis
b. Nolde’s Dance Around the Golden Calf
c. Picasso’s Three Musicians
d. Copland’s Appalachian Spring
92) ”Roped together like two mountain-climbers,” as one said, what two artists invented the analytic and synthetic methods of cubist painting?
a. Marcel Duchamp and Henri Matisse
b. Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso
c. Salvador Dali and Joan Miró
d. Paul Klee and Walter Gropius
93) Which statement best describes Duke Ellington?
a. author of the jazz-influenced work Threepenny Opera
b. strongly influenced by the atonal methods of Schoenberg
c. successfully collaborated with Sergei Diaghilev
d. composed his works principally for jazz ensembles
94) Who fashioned a system of teaching modern dance that made it as rigorous
as classical ballet?
a. Martha Graham
b. Willa Cather
c. Georgia O’Keeffe
d. Isadora Duncan
95) Which statement best describes the architect Frank Lloyd Wright?
a. believed a building should connect its occupants and surroundings
b. was a central figure of the Bauhaus movement in Germany
c. was the inventor of architectural modernism in the U.S.
d. envisioned “radiant cities” of skyscrapers and super-highways
96) Which term is best associated with the international political situation of the 1950s, in the aftermath of World War II and the defeat of fascism?
b. Cold War
c. global terror
d. the Great Depression
97) Which statement best describes the work of Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath?
a. was strongly influenced by the Beatles and other groups of 1960s rock- and-roll
b. composed poetry in a “confessional” vein, with graphic images of female
c. wrote self-consciously metaphysical stories about labyrinthine fictional
d. dealt principally with African-American characters and social life
98) Which structure best illustrates the architectural principles of the International Style–glass-and-steel towers of unadorned purity?
a. Michael Graves’ Portland Public Services Building
b. Mies van der Rohe and Philip Johnson’s Seagram Building
c. Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
d. Charles Moore’s Piazza d’Italia
99) The fiction of Gabriel García Márquez, notably his novel One Hundred Years
of Solitude, is best described by which term?
d. magic realism
100) What best describes Judy Chicago’s most famous work, the Dinner Party?
a. a cycle of dramas depicting African-American characters and social life
b. a set of intensely personal poems about her experience as mother and housewife
c. a controversial art installation commemorating women heroes
d. an acclaimed dance performance with the American Dance Theater
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more