PHIL 4 |witch argument analysis worksheet
Watch the following argument: (Also postedVersion of Argument #1: The following is a version of the entire argument that is given in the video:
Philosophy 004 Name: ____________________ Class: ____________________ Date: ____________________
RE: “Essay” Assignment #2 (80 Possible Points). Due November 23rd.
Watch the following argument: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g (Also posted in
CANVAS under these link).
Version of Argument #1: The following is a version of the entire argument that is given in the video:
1) You can know this woman is a witch because she looks like one. 1) __________________
2) You can know this woman is a witch because she dresses like one
(even if others add a fake nose and a hat to her). 2) __________________
3) You can know this woman is a witch because she has a wart. 3) __________________
4) You can know this woman is a witch because she can turn
someone into a newt (even if the person doesn’t remain a
newt, or there is no evidence that that person ever was a newt). 4) __________________
5) One burns witches. 5) __________________
6) One burns wood. 6) __________________
7) Witches burn because they are made of wood. 7) __________________
8) You cannot tell that a woman is made of wood because you can
build a bridge out of her, because you can also build a bridge
out of stone. 8) __________________
9) Wood floats in water. 9) __________________
10) [Bread, apples, very small rocks, cider, gravy, cherries, mud,
churches, lead, and …] ducks float in water. 10) __________________
Note: Only “Ducks float in water” is relevant here, so
Ignore the part in the parentheses.
11) Therefore, if this woman weighs the same as a duck,
she’s made of wood. 11) __________________
12) This woman weighs as the same as a duck. 12) __________________
(Stated prior to her being weighed)
13) Therefore, this woman is a witch. 13) __________________
Question #1: This argument contains (1) irrelevant premises, (2) implicit premises (only 1 is implicit),
(3) false premises, and (4) true premises. The first part of the assignment is to identify which of the above
applies to each of the premises that I have given above. Each line will have one answer (you print out this
paper and fill in the blanks with the correct answer using pen). Write out the term and not just the #
represented (3 Points for each answer)
NOTE: The following video is a nice explanation of irrelevant premises (although we have looked at this in
terms of the Fallacies of Irrelevance: https://www.futurelearn.com/info/courses/logical-and-criticalthinking/0/steps/9154. We looked at it in class on 11/13. Philosophy 004 Name: ____________________ Class: ____________________ Date: ____________________
Question #2: Here is a more formal version of the argument:
1. All witches are things that can burn.
2. All things that can burn are made of wood.
3. So all witches are made of wood.
4. All things that are made of wood are things that can float.
5. All things that weigh as much as a duck are things that can float.
6. So all things that weigh as much as a duck are things that are made of wood.
7. Therefore, all witches are things that weigh as much as a duck.
8. This thing is a thing that weighs as much as a duck.
9. Therefore, this thing is a witch.
In this second more formal version, there are four arguments being made (each has two premises and 1
conclusion). Meaning, in the argument above, there are actually 4 arguments being made. Each argument
builds off of the other. Question #2 of this assignment is to list out EACH of the premises and the
conclusion for each of the 4 arguments. You may do this by writing in the correct answers in the argument
spaces provided below. You should first identify the conclusions of each argument as they are given in the
argument above and then the premises given as justification for each of those conclusions. You should also
state whether each argument is valid or invalid by circling the correct answer (each claim in each argument
is worth 2.05 points and each valid/invalid question is worth 2.05).
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason may is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Our essay writers are graduates with diplomas, bachelor, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college diploma. When assigning your order, we match the paper subject with the area of specialization of the writer.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more